Only dead fish swim downstream
Photo: Ralf Weiser
This is my invitation for you to ponder how you can be yourself and stand up for something. What is your personal brand? What will your legacy be? Are you just swimming with the stream, or do you rock the boat and swim against the stream when need be?
I am happy to say at work we have been swimming against the stream with a big payoff – high morale and an increase in business. When we decided to be congruent with our values of our triple bottom line (we want to something for People, Planet and make a Profit), which is essentially and win-win-win scenario for all stake holders, we decided that where we work must resemble these values. We have one of the few if not still the only Green LEED Gold certified manufacturing buildings in PA. Vendors, Customers, government representatives (local and international) as well as school students alike have been inspired by coming and touring our facility. It has been four years now since we moved into the building and we have had record numbers of visitors. The image and commercial impact is impossible to measure yet, in many a conversation with people who have come to visit us they do mention how this has positively changed their path.
Here are a few benefits if you decide build your brand:
- Without having to resort to polarization (good-evil) you take a stand and tell people where you stand.
- You will be recognized as a leader. You cannot lead from the rear of the pack; you do need to be one step ahead at least with your thoughts.
- Thinking about this will almost automatically make you a subject matter expert. That is a good position to have. Only when you do solid and objective research will you be able to influence people.
- You will inspire people to do the same as you. You never know who listens to what you have to say.
- The more you practice, the less afraid you are about criticism by others. There are always people who value you and your input.
- All of this leads to a much richer and more balanced life. That can mean wealth too. The power of a brand fills the Web with business every day.
- All of the above leads to a great degree of sustainability.
Our building was featured in a PBS special a while back and our straw bale construction conference room was shown during the construction phase. Our section starts at minute 9.40min where you can see Aerzen USA’s manufacturing plant come alive. http://www.pbs.org/greenbuilders/watch-the-film.html