Why is there no UPS Yesterday service?
We have got 3 day, 2 day, and same day service. It would be awesome if we could ship something today and getting that delivered yesterday. All kidding aside, we only seem to have urgent and very urgent matters anymore. How do we prioritize them?
Without qualifying and quantifying how urgent something really is, you have to ponder what its impact on you is.
- Take your time evaluating any given task before you start doing anything.
- Map out these following different categories and where the task falls.
- How important is the client to me and others?
- How important is the product, service, etc to me and others?
- How much will it cost?
- How does this fit my core values and purpose? How does it fit the company’s vision and mission/ brand?
- How congruent is this with my core values?
- Do I have all the information I need?
- Did I include the main customer in the decision making process?
- Can I make a commitment?
- Do I have the consent of my customer to continue?
Remember that someone else’s urgent is not automatically your urgent. While we may wish that one day we will be able to get parts shipped such that they get to where they need to go yesterday, it still will require that someone does the above mentioned homework no matter what.