8 ways helping deal with being overcommitted
Stressed out because you are overcommitted? Too much work and too little time? Does your manager not pick up on the clues that you are at the brink of work burn out? This can happen when you are totally over committed with work and you think you just do not have any time to cram any more into your schedule.
This feels very uncomfortable and your work and health will eventually suffer, or you will end up soaking wet – a lot. Here are some ways of mitigating the results of this phenomenon.
- Prioritize: What is really important? Make sure that you only do the tasks you really need to do.
- Delegation: How much of the work you do should really be done by others who are perhaps even more qualified, or have more time to do this?
- Candor: How candid have you been with yourself? How candid have you been with your boss? Only when you share how you feel and what would happen if nothing happens will you pave the way for lasting change.
- Identification: What is really behind the definition of “I do not have time”? Do you not have the time, or you are just not making the time?
- Planning ahead: Interestingly enough, half of your issues may just be due to not planning ahead enough. Make the important things a priority and they will happen as long as you allowed the time for it.
- Preparation: Prepare your fiercest issues well before you take them to the key stake holders. The better prepared you are, the greater the chance that you will be able to do what you want to do and thus get more wiggle room for doing the things that you really want to do. Those are the ones that give you energy rather than help draining it.
- Do not wait for a miracle: Do something about your situation. Think about how you would like for things to work out for you and start delivering results. You will get noticed.
- Subscribe to the 5 minute rule: First thing every morning start tasks that you have procrastinated for a while. Promise yourself that you will spend 5 minutes working on it. Most projects will take less than 3 minutes – promised.
When you really think about it, there are many ways of dealing with over commitment on your part. Try giving one of the 8 methods a try and provide me with some feedback below in the comment section. If I can do this, so can you. All you have to do is making the decision to start and then actually deliver on this promise.