7 ways of overcoming your fear of public speaking
Photo credit: Pablo by Buffer
If you are anything like me at all, you are probably afraid of public speaking to some degree. Problem is that public speaking is one of the most important tools in making progress career wise. So what can you do to overcome the fear of public speaking?
- Ironically enough the most effective way overcoming your fear is to holding more presentations.
- Start out speaking in front of smaller groups.
- Knowing the audience helps feeling and getting support when you need it the most.
- Know your stuff. Another great outcome is that knowing your stuff necessitates that you really dig deep into a subject matter. Own it and you feel more secure and a presentation becomes a breeze.
- Give a test presentation in front of people whom you really trust. Exercise builds your confidence.
- Just before giving your talk walk around a little. Stand up and stay up. A little positive tension is ok (actually it is necessary). Take a few deep breaths.
- Look around the audience and seek out a few friendly faces that you can cycle back and forth from while looking at the rest of the audience. Even better yet, try mingling with your crowd before speaking.
You are not alone in your fear of public speaking. While some folks appear to be blessed with a knack for naturally speaking well, you can do this too. All it takes is making a plan using a few of the above prepping strategies and you can excel at this as well.